If you feel anxiety at the thought of a visit in the dental chair, talk to us about sedation dentistry.
Most forms of sedation used in dentistry allow you to remain conscious but relaxed, helping to ease the tension of undergoing dental procedures.
Methods of Sedation
There are several methods of sedation available at Dr Ian Lin Dental:
- Oral sedation can be used for mild to moderate dental anxiety. You will be given a medication to be taken approximately an hour before your appointment. Oral sedation will leave you feeling very relaxed, and you may not even remember all of the procedure. You will need to be accompanied to your appointment by a friend or family member as oral sedation can take several hours to wear off.
- Intravenous, or IV, sedation consists of a sedative administered directly into your bloodstream by a specialist anaesthetist. Administering the medication directly into your bloodstream means immediate results. You may feel as if you were asleep during your procedure, and you will need a companion to accompany you, as grogginess is normal following IV sedation.
You will be monitored during your appointment to ensure that you are safe during the procedure.
Benefits of Sedation
Sedation dentistry offers several benefits:
- It allows you to complete dental work in fewer visits.
- It helps alleviate anxiety and leaves you relaxed after your procedure.
- It can keep you from remembering the sounds and smells often associated with dental anxiety.
If you are interested in sedation dentistry or have questions or concerns, please contact our clinic for more information. We will be happy to help you decide what’s right for you.